It is surprising to find out how many people just have no idea that there is a better approach to fat loss than the old-school bland and boring bodybuilding diet way. There are a ton of healthy meal options out there besides boring chicken, broccoli, and brown rice. This old school bodybuilding fat loss diet approach just is not necessary or practical. Plus, if you eat the same foods every day, you can create nutrient deficiencies because you will not get the nutrients that you would normally get by having a more balanced diet.
Here is a healthy, lean body recipe that is not only tasty, but loaded with a ton of nutrients as well. Enjoy!
Grilled Chicken Sausage Tostadas
-Pam Cooking spray
-1 Package Trader Joes or Whole Foods Brand Spicy Italian Sausage (4pack) You can substitute a pound of lean ground meat for the sausages if you want (I like using grass-fed beef, ground buffalo / bison, and ground turkey)
-6 Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas
-1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
-1 Cup fat-free refried beans
-3 Cups lettuce, shredded
-1 (8-ounce) jar salsa
-1/2 Cup (4-ounces) low-fat crumbled feta cheese
-6 Tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
-1/4 Cup unsalted sunflower kernels, toasted
-1 Serving Bearitos low-sodium taco seasoning
-2 Cups tomatoes, chopped and seeded
-3/4 Cup sweet onion, diced
-1/4 Cup ripe olives, chopped
-1/4 Cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
-1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Spray the grill with cooking spray and preheat. I like to use a George Foreman Grill because it is quick and easy. Brush the ground meat with lime juice and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Note: You do not have to use the taco seasoning if using the chicken sausages.
2. Place sausage links on preheated grill rack and grill 3-4 minutes. Allow sausage to cool slightly then cut into ½ inch pieces and set aside.
3. Place tortillas on sprayed grill rack and grill for 30 seconds on each side until crisp and golden brown.
4. In a medium bowl, toss together tomatoes, onions, olives, cilantro, lime juice and pepper.
5. Spread 3 tablespoons of refried beans over each tortilla and evenly divide chicken sausage between the tortillas.
6. Top with 2 tablespoons salsa, 1/2 cup shredded lettuce, 1/2 cup tomato mixture, 2 tablespoons feta cheese and 1 tablespoon sour cream.
7. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and sunflower kernels. Garnish with scallions, fresh limes and cilantro.
This recipe makes about 6 servings, so you will be able to save the leftovers for a healthy lunch or snack for later.