The Use and Abuse of Anabolic Steroids
You turn on the T.V, and there is a documentary going on about steroids that how it is successful in the treatment of AIDS and cancer. While watching, you pick up a magazine and skip through it and come across at an article about the dangerous side effects of using steroids. Confused. Right?
There is a fine line between the words USE and ABUSE. People tend to confuse the both.
What Are Anabolic Steroids?
Anabolic steroids are chemicals similar in composition the human hormone testosterone. Anabolic steroids are used to increase the stamina and enhance the physical appearance of a human. Bodybuilders and athletes mostly use it for increased exercising and playing time. Itis also used in the treatment of certain diseases such as AIDS, certain kinds of cancer, asthma, and some skin related diseases. The thing to note down is that Anabolic steroids are prescription medicines with the dosage differing from person to person. One should never buy steroids illegally without the prescription of a doctor.
The Uses of Anabolic Steroids
- Anabolic steroids are used to improve the performance, particularly in athletes, as it helps in decreasing muscle mass. This way athlete can increase their workout
- They are also used by men to improve their physical performance and enhance their manly features.
- Anabolic steroids are also used to treat conditions like delayed puberty and impotence in men.
- Anabolic steroids are used in the treatment of severe skin diseases like eczema and dermatitis.
- Anabolic steroids are also used in the treatment of osteoporosis, especially in women, to give strength and muscle mass to bones and to reduce inflammation and pain.
- They are used to treat chronic wounds.
- They are used to treat impotence in men to increase the chances of making babies.
- They are used in the treatment of fatal diseases such as AIDS and certain types of cancer.
Remember, these are only prescribed by the doctor, when he thinks you need them. He will prescribe a particular dose and period, and if he does not prescribe you that means you do not need them.
The Abuses of Anabolic Steroids
The foremost abuse is by college students. Boys compare themselves, and if one of them gets late in getting puberty, he is mocked for that. To overcome the embarrassment, young boys buy steroids illegally to increase their physical appearance. They are too naïve and take larger doses of it.
Anabolic steroids are greatly abused by athletes. They take larger doses of it to increase their strength, muscles, built and stamina.
Effects of Abuse
The abuse of anabolic steroids has serious short term and long term effects. The short-term effects include hallucinations, vision problems, fatigue, depression, mood swings, feeling and anger, acne problems, weight gain and irritability.
The long-term effects are more severe. Using anabolic steroids for a longer period and in larger doses can cause cardiac arrest, liver damages, high blood pressure, kidney failures and high cholesterol levels. In men, they cause the decrease of testicles and decrease in the sperms. While in women they lead to menstrual irregularities, increase in facial hair and deepening of the voice. These effects may be permanent and detrimental to health.