Los Angeles often referred to by its initials, L.A., is the second most populated city in the United States and the largest in California. Los Angeles is one of the biggest economic, tourist and cultural centers in the U.S. if not the world. To give you some idea of how big LA really is, the LA five-county area has the world’s 11th largest economy in gross domestic product, ahead of the Netherlands, South Korea, and Mexico. As a manufacturing center LA ranks second in the country, only behind Chicago, and ahead of Detroit, New York, Philadelphia, and Minneapolis. On the basis of population alone, Los Angeles County would be the ninth largest state in the United States.
Just like other major metropolitan areas around the world, LA has its share of problems related to drug and alcohol abuse and addiction. According to the County of Los Angeles Substance Abuse Prevention and Control factsheet (http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/sapc/FactSheet/AlcoholFactSheet.pdf) published in October 2010, the estimated annual economic impact of alcohol use in Los Angeles County is $10.8 billion. This cost includes: Illness ($5.4 billion), Traffic (DUI; $2.0 billion), Other Injury ($1.0 billion), and Crime ($2.4 billion). In 2007, there were 203,866 DUI arrests in California. In 2007, there were 42,736 DUI arrests in Los Angeles County alone. In 2008, there were 258 alcohol-involved fatal collisions in Los Angeles County and 4,832 alcohol-involved injury collisions.
In terms of drug-related problems for LA County, drug overdose, including unintentional alcohol poisoning, is the fourth leading cause of premature death in Los Angeles County and the 17th leading cause of death overall. It is the fourth leading cause of pre-mature death among men (15,446 deaths) and the seventh leading cause of premature death among women (5,495 deaths) in Los Angeles. Drug offenses account for the highest percentage of overall felony arrests in Los Angeles County. In 2008, there were 40,928 felony arrests for drug offenses and 34,312 misdemeanor drug arrests.
Fortunately the Los Angeles area also has a myriad of drug rehabilitation and alcohol treatment options for those seeking professional assistance with drug or alcohol problems. According to the national directory of drug and alcohol resources provided by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Association or SAMHSA (http://dasis3.samhsa.gov/), there is a total of 429 drug and alcohol rehab programs in Los Angeles County. In the SAMHSA directory, LA County has 83 drug and alcohol detoxification centers, 41 methadone maintenance programs, 40 methadone detox centers, 53 halfway house facilities, 44 that use buprenorphine in treatment, 332 outpatient treatment programs, 82 programs that offer partial hospitalization, 64 residential short-term treatment centers, 134 residential long-term treatment centers, and 10 programs that provide hospital inpatient services.
Furthermore of those drug rehabs and treatment programs in the Los Angeles area, many provide specialized drug and alcohol treatment services for those with special needs. According to the SAMHSA directory, 161 facilities provide treatment services for adolescents, 168 programs for those with dual-diagnosis disorders, 86 programs for persons with HIV/AIDS, 66 facilities specifically designed for gays and lesbians, 69 facilities for seniors and older adults, 104 that provide services for pregnant or postpartum women, 153 facilities services exclusively for women, 24 facilities that provide residential beds for clients’ children, 127 facilities that provide rehab services specifically for men, 35 programs for DUI offenders, and 143 programs for criminal justice clients.…
Health spas are places for relaxation and rejuvenation. Some of the largest health spas in the USA are discussed here.
The 15 largest health spas in the USA are:
1. Dolce Salon and Spa is located in Scottsdale, Arizona. It is a luxurious spa with 28 styling stations, 21 full service spa rooms, 10 manicure and 10 pedicure thrones, a tanning room, a make up full service center and retail boutique. It covers an area of 13,083 square feet with two stories structure. It features body treatments, facials and massage therapy.
2. 24 Hour Fitness is located in San Fernando Valley. Mark Mastrov started it in 1983 with the name “24 Hour Nautilus in San Leandro, California. Today it has 338 clubs in 16 US states. This fitness club provides full service fitness centers, saunas, and group exercise classes.
3. Inn and Spa Berkeley Spring is located in Berkeley Spring, West Virginia. It features 62 guest rooms, 5 suites and famous for their secluded guest cottages. It provides classic and excellent service for client relaxation needs.
4. Today the fourth largest health club chain is Wellbridge. It features over 45 clubs in 16 markets of fitness and wellness spa for working professionals and fitness enthusiasts. It is a concept of fitness, wellness, sports, and fun.
5. Nirvana Spa is located in Miami Beach, Florida. It features unique spas, 4 exotic steam rooms, massage, and yoga and workout facilities.
6. California Health & Longevity Institute has a total area of 40,000 square foot spa, which offers combination of Asia and Western rituals and strategies in the world of holistic treatments and therapy. This institute provides lifestyle transformation thru life advisor therapy to clients. It also houses a medical clinic, which provides medical assessments to complete the personalized life planning experience.
7. Evergreen spa offers treatments of combined touch approaches and organic products, which believe in holistic, approach spa.
8. Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa is a complete resort spa. It includes 5 pools and a two-storey health spa with fitness center covering 22 oceanfront acres. This place allows clients to experience canoe riding, underwater tours, and club activities. It also contains a library, bars, and restaurants.
9. Evensong Spa is located in the wooded acres of Green Lake, Wisconsin. It is a complete picture of woods, wetland, trails, and paths. It provides relaxation and healing services thru the combination of natural and modern products. The best feature this place can offer is their famous indoor labyrinth. This winding path allows customers to improve their brain activities.
10. The Spa at the Balboa Bay Club features nine treatment rooms, hot whirlpool, eucalyptus steam room, lounge with fireplace, and beauty amenities. It is located in Newport Beach, California. Customers get ultimate relaxation while bay viewing.
11. Spa Solage is a geothermal spa located at Solage Calistoga Resort in Calistoga, California. It has an area of 20,000 square feet, wide enough to allow customers to experience full transformation and relaxation with 14 stylish treatment rooms like the mud bar, fitness classes, beauty retreats hosted by professionals.
12. AquaMedica is a day spa located at Long branch, New Jersey. It is the best day spa in New Jersey which includes eleven treatment rooms, steam room, and color therapy shower. It offers treatments for men, women, and teens. It occupies an area of 5000 square feet facility with a water theme.
13. CopperWynd Resort and Club is located in between Scottsdale and Fountain Hills. It is a place of organic healing and rejuvenation allowing customers to appreciate nature. It offers relaxation while enjoying vacation or doing club activities.
14. Littlefield Cottage is another spa of combined ancient arts and modern strategies towards healing and transformation. Healthcare professionals provide wellness programs customized to the needs of the customers. It is located in Dahlonega, Georgia.
15. Bella Vita Retreat is located in a beach near Fort Lauderdale, Florida. One can choose between the Bella Boot Camp and a Private Weight Loss Retreat.…
Many different people have insurance from Kaiser Permanente and receive all of their primary care from the hospitals and physicians within this popular healthcare network today. The organization operates in nine different states as well as Washington, DC. Kaiser Permanente Colorado serves the Boulder and Denver areas, for example, while there are also separate networks for Northern and Southern California as well as the Pacific Northwest states and Hawaii. There are also plans for Kaiser Permanente Georgia and the Mid-Atlantic States, which individuals, families and small businesses in those areas can sign up for.
The story of Kaiser Permanente goes back to 1945, when industrialist Henry J. Kaiser and physician Sidney R. Garfield founded the organization at the height of the great depression with just one inventive young surgeon and a twelve bed hospital in the middle of the Mojave Desert. It wasn’t long until the health insurance enterprise spread to include Kaiser Permanente Colorado and all eight other state-specific networks, but first there was a lot of work for this industrialist and doctor who revolutionized healthcare in the United States.
The idea was set into motion when Dr. Garfield saw thousands of men occupied in building the Los Angeles Aqueduct who needed healthcare, so he borrowed money to construct Contractors General Hospital six miles from the tiny town of Desert Center to treat injured and sick workers. He was having trouble financing the operation and convincing insurance companies to pay for his bills on time, and since he also cared for non-insured workers, he often paid for the services himself and was quickly getting into more debt than he could pay off. This was when Henry J. Kaiser came in, and now there are facilities from Kaiser Permanente Georgia to Kaiser Hawaii bearing his name.
Kaiser Permanente is now administered through eight regions, including one parent and five subordinate health plan entities with one hospital entity and nine separate affiliated medical groups. This may sound confusing, but as an individual or family, rest assured you only need to be concerned with the specific affiliated medical group for the area where you reside.…