A note on personalized vitamins
Care/of is a subscription service that offers personalized vitamins, which are supplements customized for you based on the results of a health questionnaire.
As the questionnaire doesn’t replace the guidance of a qualified health professional, it’s important to talk with your doctor or registered dietitian (RD) before taking any new supplements.
Care/of is very transparent about its supplements and ingredients, as it provides supplement facts on each product. However, its products are not third-party certified for quality and accuracy.
Care/of is a personalized vitamin subscription service that delivers a monthly supply of supplements right to your door.
The company offers a wide variety of products geared toward adults and provides recommendations based on your answers to an online questionnaire.
This article provides a comprehensive review of Care/of, including how it works, the products it offers and their effectiveness, and the service’s potential downsides.
- personalized supplement recommendations based on your health needs and goals
- monthly supply shipped straight to your home
- wide variety of products
- ingredients and products graded based on the strength of available research
- products tested for quality and purity
- wide variability in cost
- shipping fee for orders less than $20
- doesn’t offer consultations with a registered dietitian (RD) or other health expert
- products are not third-party certified
Care/of is a vitamin subscription company that provides personalized supplement recommendations and delivers them straight to your door.
For added convenience, the daily supplements come packaged in individual envelopes so you don’t have to worry about opening multiple bottles.
The goal of Care/of is to make purchasing supplements easier by taking the guesswork out of choosing which ones to take.
How it works
To get started, customers complete a quick health assessment on the company’s website.
In addition to your sex and age, the questionnaire asks about your overall health, including the following questions:
- Have you taken vitamins in the past?
- What should we explore? (This question refers to any health concerns you have, such as those about digestive issues, low energy, or heart health)
- How many servings of fruits and vegetables do you eat most days?
- Do you smoke?
Using this information, Care/of recommends three to four supplements, which you can choose to purchase or replace with other products.
It’s important to note that only the types of supplements, not the dosages, are personalized. Therefore it’s best to confirm the appropriate dosage with a healthcare professional.
Once your products have been selected, you’ll receive a 30-day supply in the mail. Monthly refills are shipped automatically, and you can pause the service at any time.
Care/of is a vitamin subscription company that delivers personalized supplements. Product recommendations are based on an online health quiz, but you can easily adjust your order at any time.
Care/of offers a wide selection of products that are categorized as either vitamins or powders.
Care/of offers a wide selection of vitamins, minerals, and other dietary supplements, including:
- Letter vitamins. These include a B-complex, prenatal vitamin, and multivitamin, as well as single vitamins like vitamins C, D, and B12.
- Minerals. The company currently offers calcium, iron, magnesium, and zinc.
- Herbs. Several herbal supplements are available, including elderberry, ashwagandha, garlic, and milk thistle.
- Probiotics. Care/of offers two options, including a bacterial probiotic blend and yeast-based probiotic made from Saccharomyces boulardii.
- Specialty. These include omega-3s, keratin, astaxanthin, and an adaptogenic mushroom blend.
Care/of also offers several powders, including:
- Collagen. Care/of’s line of bovine collagen powders come in four flavors, including matcha, lemon passion fruit, vanilla oat, and unflavored.
- Protein. Whey and plant-based protein powders are available in chocolate or vanilla.
- Boosts. Boosts are powders that can be mixed with your favorite protein powder or beverage. Current offerings include creatine, electrolytes, maca root, and superberry, which is high in antioxidants.
- Quick Sticks. These single-serving powders are easily mixed into water and marketed for specific health concerns, including high stress and sleep issues. They contain a mix of micronutrients, herbs, and other compounds, such as probiotics and melatonin.
Care/of offers a wide variety of products, including letter vitamins, mineral supplements, herbs, probiotics, collagen, protein powders, Boosts, and Quick Sticks.
Care/of strives to provide high quality supplements featuring the most readily absorbed form of each ingredient.
For example, rather than using folic acid, Care/of’s folate supplement contains methylfolate — a synthetic version of folate — as limited research suggests that it may be easier for your body to absorb (
The company also seeks out ingredients that are sustainably and ethically sourced and tests each product at three points during the manufacturing process.
Care/of’s products are produced in certified Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) facilities, which means the facilities meet quality and safety standards set by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
However, Care/of products are not third-party certified. This is a potential downside, as third-party testing confirms that a supplement contains what it states on the label.
Care/of’s products are made with high quality, sustainably sourced ingredients. While the supplements undergo testing in the company’s cGMP facility, they are not third-party certified.
To assess the benefits and effectiveness of ingredients, all of Care/of’s products are graded using the following scale:
- Traditionally used: history of use in traditional or herbal medicine
- Limited research: very little scientific evidence available
- Emerging research: limited, recent evidence available
- Good research: limited, high quality evidence is available
- Strong research: supported by several high quality studies
- Very strong research: supported by several robust studies, as well as expert consensus
In addition to listing the grade, each product page contains a summary of the related available evidence and a list of studies for further reference.
You can also dig into the company’s research library, which details the scientific research available to support the potential benefits and uses of each product.
It’s important to review the grades and research available for each product, as some health claims may not be as well supported as others.
For example, the Chill Factor Quick Stick is graded as “emerging research,” as it has only one study that supports the ability of its main ingredient —gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) — to reduce stress.
On the other hand, the Extra Batteries Quick Stick is graded as “strong research,” as it cites several studies that support the effectiveness of the product’s main ingredients.
Overall, when choosing supplements, make sure to look for those with a “strong research” or “very strong research” grade. You can find each product’s grade under the benefits tab on the product page.
While Care/of’s online questionnaire asks some health-related questions, it doesn’t provide a comprehensive medical history.
As a result, you may be recommended a product that interacts with a medication you’re taking or exacerbates a preexisting health condition.
In particular, many herbal supplements are not recommended for children or people who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Overall, it’s best to talk with a healthcare professional before starting a new supplement regimen.
Care/of’s products are graded on a scale based on the strength of the available research. Look for products with a “strong research” or “very strong research” grade, and check with your doctor before taking new supplements.
The price of a monthly Care/of subscription varies based on the type and number of supplements selected.
Products range in price from $5–$32 for a 30-day supply, with free shipping on orders over $20.
The service ships to all 50 states and certain addresses in Canada and U.S. territories. However, there’s a $6 handling fee on all international orders.
The price of your Care/of subscription will depend on the type and number of products you receive. Shipping is free for orders over $20.
Here’s how Care/of stacks up against some of its closest competitors:
While Care/of isn’t the least expensive vitamin subscription service, it offers one of the widest product selections and has the lowest free-shipping threshold among the three most expensive services.
However, unlike Persona and Hum Nutrition, Care/of doesn’t include access to a registered dietitian (RD) or other health expert.
Care/of is reasonably priced and offers a wider variety of products than other vitamin subscription companies. However, it doesn’t offer access to a health expert or dietitian.
Care/of is a vitamin subscription service that provides personalized recommendations based on an online questionnaire.
Each product is made with high quality ingredients and graded based on the strength of available research.
While its products are not third-party certified, they’re tested multiple times during manufacturing.
If you’re interested in trying a personalized vitamin subscription, Care/of is an excellent choice. Just make sure to talk with a healthcare professional before placing your order.