With all the emphasis on maintaining a healthy lifestyle sometimes we overlook some of the basic things that help us accomplish this. We are going to look at some of these today. Many may seem to be a matter of common sense, but if you follow these you will be on your way to healthy living.
1. Drink plenty of water. It is suggested that we consume 8-10 glasses per day. This includes water that we get from foods and other drinks that we have. A good tip is to drink a glass before eating. Sometimes we are not actually hungry but are dehydrated.
2. We all know that eating fresh fruits daily is advised. But did you know that it is best to eat them in between meals or before meals. If you eat them directly after a meal your body will store it away as unused energy.
3. You should eat a protein with each of your meals. Some excellent sources of protein would include fish, beans, meat, protein bars and shakes. Your body needs these proteins so ensure that you are getting enough of them.
4. There are some foods that are better avoided. These would include potatoes, white bread, instant oatmeal and french fries. The reason is that these are foods that that body breaks down quickly into sugar.
5. Start a regular exercise program. If you are not in the habit of exercising start out slow and work your way up to something that is more strenuous. Choose something that you enjoy doing. If you enjoy the type of exercise your chances of continuing it over the long term increases. Over time you should work your way up to 3 to 5 times a week for 30 minutes or more. You will be surprised at the extra energy it will give you and the improvement in your mood. Try to incorporate some weight training in your schedule. This is an excellent way to naturally increase your metabolism.
6. Include raw vegetables into your daily diet. Nutritionists tell us that the darker the vegetable is the richer it is in nutrients. Concentrate on the ones that are dark green, dark purple and dark orange. This will give you the most benefits.
7. You should eat smaller meals with snacks in between. Eating every two to three hours is optimal. This will help you to naturally increase your metabolism and that is essential to healthy weight control. Peanut butter on a cracker is a good example of snacks you should include. If you wait until you actually feel hungry it may be too late. This causes your body to go into a fasting state.
8. Include fatty acids into the diet. Ground up flax seed is a good source to have with foods or cereals. It also gives you fiber.
9. Eat foods that are high in fiber. These foods will help you control cholesterol levels as well as giving you the feeling of feeling fuller. Some examples of these types of foods would be whole grains, fibrous vegetables and legumes. You may also want to look at supplementation as there are some good ones out there. You would want to speak to your doctor before beginning any supplementation program.
10. Raw nuts and seeds are a good source of essential fatty acids. You should limit the. amount to about a handful. These fatty acids not only help us burn fat but also
assure that we have healthy hair, skin and nails.
These are some very simple things that can be done to improve your overall health. You will feel and look a lot better by knowing the basic ways to change or improve your lifestyle.