Located in the South Platte River Valley on the High Plains just to the East of the Front Range of the Southern Rocky Mountains, Denver is the capital and most populous city in the state of Colorado. As of the 2005 census, its population was 557,917. Additionally, the Denver-Aurora Metropolitan Statistical Area, which combines the city and county of Denver with nine suburban counties, had an estimated 2006 population of 2,408,750, and the Denver-Aurora-Boulder Combined Statistical Area had an estimated population in 2006 of 2,927,911.
Denver has been nicknamed "The Mile-High City", because its official elevation, as engraved on the fifteenth step of the state capitol building, is one mile (1,609 meters) above sea level.
Attractions in Denver include:
– Denver Art Museum
– Denver Zoo
– Six Flags Elitch Gardens
– Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum
Here is some more information about the area:
– One of the major companies headquartered in Denver is Qwest.
– Important education institutions in Denver include Auraria Campus, Regis University and University of Denver. Auraria Campus houses facilities of three separate universities and colleges: the University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Community College of Denver, and Metropolitan State College of Denver. Regis University a coeducational Roman Catholic university. University of Denver is an independent coeducational university.
– The principal airport serving Denver is Denver International Airport.
– Professional sports teams in Denver include the baseball team, the Colorado Rockies, the basketball team, the Denver Nuggets, the ice hockey team, the Colorado Avalanche, and the NFL American football team, the Denver Broncos.